Robotics Perception Engineer
HMI is actively seeking an experienced perception engineer to develop advanced sensor hardware and vision algorithms for object detection, tracking and classification. We are looking for an expert in real-time robot perception able to use a combination of cameras and other sensors. The candidate should be an expert in high performance sensors, localization, mapping, object detection, tracking and classification. A strong theoretical background including experience with Bayesian statistics and computational neural networks is highly desired.
- BS/MS in Robotics, Computer Science, Mathematics, or a related field
- Excellent C++, Python skills and expertise in integrating machine learning algorithms into real-world systems
- Expert in using a combination of high-performance sensors to achieve localization, mapping, object detection, tracking and classification
- Experience using machine learning techniques to overcome environmental conditions that limit the application of traditional vision algorithms
- Experience in data structures and advanced algorithms
- Understanding of perception work in different sensor models such as LIDAR, TOF and optical
- Experience with robot build cycles and hardware in the loop simulations
- Experience writing robust, safety-critical, efficient code
- Experience with Linux
- Worked in an agile environment
- Ability to obtain a security clearance
- History of mentoring junior engineers
While performing some duties of this job, the employee may be required to travel domestically and internationally. This role may also require exposure to a variety of construction and/or offshore platform, various bodies of water job sites. The noise level in the work environment and job sites can be loud.
The performance of this position may occasionally require exposure to the manufacturing areas, which may require the use of personal protective equipment such as safety glasses with side shields and mandatory hearing protection.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Houston Mechatronics, Inc (HMI) is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, immigration status, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
In addition, HMI is a federal contractor required to adhere to the Arms Export Control Act of 1976 which governs the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). As a result, this position may include access to export-controlled information that is subject to US export control laws. Export control laws require employers to restrict access to export-controlled information or to obtain export licenses for non-U.S. person employees if their positions require access to information governed by ITAR. The ITAR defines a U.S. person means a person (as defined in §120.14 of this part) who is a lawful permanent resident as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1101(a)(20) or who is a protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3) which includes certain temporary residents and refugees and asylees. HMI does not obtain export licenses for these positions.