Machine Learning Scientist
HMI is seeking a subject matter expert in machine learning to work in the area of robotic manipulation. Your role consists of leading a small but agile development team to design and demonstrate advanced manipulation algorithms on real robotic hardware. You will also work closely with perception and navigation subsystems to integrate into an overall vehicle architecture. As a successful candidate, you must have theoretical and practical experience in several of the following areas: control theory, manipulator control, and deep learning. Experience in software project management is also required, including converting system-level requirements into software tasks, setting work plans and timelines, coordinating with team-members to track progress and provide assistance in sub-system development.
- MSc/PhD in Robotics, Computer Science, Mathematics, or a related field
- Extensive theoretical knowledge of machine learning domains, practical implementations of machine learning in real systems, creating and implementing learning algorithms to solve difficult robotics problems
- Theoretical and practical experience in several additional areas: control theory, manipulator control, perception, and ROS
- Strong Python and C++ programming skills
- Significant experience in one of the popular machine learning toolkits (e.g. TensorFlow, Torch, etc)
- Working understanding of command-line Linux
- Experience in software project management, software design, version control, and Gitlow
- Worked in an agile development environment
- Ability to obtain a security clearance
- Experience with Linux
- History of mentoring junior engineers
While performing some duties of this job, the employee may be required to travel domestically and internationally. This role may also require exposure to a variety of construction and/or offshore platform, various bodies of water job sites. The noise level in the work environment and job sites can be loud.
The performance of this position may occasionally require exposure to the manufacturing areas, which may require the use of personal protective equipment such as safety glasses with side shields and mandatory hearing protection.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Houston Mechatronics, Inc (HMI) is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, immigration status, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
In addition, HMI is a federal contractor required to adhere to the Arms Export Control Act of 1976 which governs the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). As a result, this position may include access to export-controlled information that is subject to US export control laws. Export control laws require employers to restrict access to export-controlled information or to obtain export licenses for non-U.S. person employees if their positions require access to information governed by ITAR. The ITAR defines a U.S. person means a person (as defined in §120.14 of this part) who is a lawful permanent resident as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1101(a)(20) or who is a protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3) which includes certain temporary residents and refugees and asylees. HMI does not obtain export licenses for these positions.