Electrical Engineer (Manufacturing)
This is an exciting role within the Houston Mechatronics Manufacturing Department. This candidate for this role is ultimately responsible for all things electrical, for the production of underwater robotic systems. The candidate will receive designs from engineering group and work with vendors in the production of subsystems. Once received from vendors, candidate will endure compliance and make ready for integration. The candidate will also work with manufacturing manager to plan work and issue work orders for continuous shop floor production. Candidate will be responsible for signing off on all electrical quality checks and mitigating deficient hardware. Candidate will be the liaison between engineering and manufacturing.
JOB DUTIES AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Supports the manufacturing department by being the Electrical/Electronics expert for electrical components and circuitry.
- Support the manufacturing department by working closely with engineering team and vendors to ensure quality production on time and within budget.
- Acts as Quality Assurance authority at all electrical quality stage gates.
- Works with team members to efficiently manages production processes for electronics integration
- Troubleshoots equipment failure and implements permanent corrective actions via documentation and process control.
- Transforms business need into tactical process changes and processing flexibility by supporting universal processing options when and where possible.
- Evaluates analytical methods and procedures to determine how they might be improved.
- Identifies quality problems, tracks problems down to root cause and recommends solutions.
- Interprets test results, compares them to established specifications and control limits, and makes recommendations on appropriateness of data for release.
- Monitors testing procedures to ensure that all tests are performed according to established item specifications, standard test methods, and/or protocols.
- Performs in- and out-of-specification and failure investigations and recommends corrective actions.
- Improves quality of software by analyzing the patterns of test results.
- Calibrates, validates, and maintains laboratory equipment.
- Presents information to management ad required
- Communicates and maintains good working relationships vendors, manufacturing, engineering, and management.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- BS in Electrical Engineering or closely related degree required, technical master’s degree a plus.
- 3 years industry experience required; 5+ years’ experience preferred.
- Strong leadership and organizational skills
- Strong ability to develop and interpret electronic schematics required; ability to design circuits highly desired.
- High proficiency with controllers and embedded controls; experience with Elmo control hardware highly desired
- Strong English verbal and written skills required.
- Ability to apply mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and validity, analysis of variance, correlation techniques, sampling theory, factor analysis, and other similar operations highly desirable.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables required.
- Ability to analyze software and understand abstract data types desired.
- Ability to perform Object-Oriented Programming, LabVIEW programming, Python, C++ and debugging required.
- Experience with power system, marine grade cabling, and underwater electronics application.
- Experience with Altium
- Strong mechanical assembly aptitude. (feel comfortable assembling / disassembling hardware)
- Proficiency with one or more software languages highly desired
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear.
- The employee will also be frequently required to stand.
- The employee must frequently lift, push, or pull equipment at a minimum of 50 pounds unassisted.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision and ability to adjust focus.
- Must be able to climb ladders, maneuver in tight spaces, and stand for extended periods
While performing some duties of this job, the employee may be required to travel domestically and internationally. This role may also require exposure to a variety of construction and/or offshore platform, various bodies of water job sites. The noise level in the work environment and job sites can be loud.
The performance of this position may occasionally require exposure to the manufacturing areas, which may require the use of personal protective equipment such as safety glasses with side shields and mandatory hearing protection.
Houston Mechatronics, Inc (HMI) is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, immigration status, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
In addition, HMI is a federal contractor required to adhere to the Arms Export Control Act of 1976 which governs the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). As a result, this position may include access to export-controlled information that is subject to US export control laws. Export control laws require employers to restrict access to export-controlled information or to obtain export licenses for non-U.S. person employees if their positions require access to information governed by ITAR. The ITAR defines a U.S. person means a person (as defined in §120.14 of this part) who is a lawful permanent resident as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1101(a)(20) or who is a protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3) which includes certain temporary residents and refugees and asylees. HMI does not obtain export licenses for these positions.