Houston Mechatronics is seeking a Mechanical Engineering Intern interested in furthering their education in an extremely hands on environment. Here you will go far beyond the classroom and learn what it really means to be an engineer through exposure and participation in all aspects of the engineering process including brainstorming, prototyping, design, fabrication, assembly, and testing. The limits to your assignments will be based on your skills, ambition, and creativity alone.
You must demonstrate a true passion for engineering. Coursework alone is insufficient. The ideal candidate will demonstrate experience that goes beyond the classroom. This could be demonstrated via extracurricular engineering activities or experience on competitive engineering teams which may include organizations such as Formula SAE, Baja SAE, RoboSub, FIRST Robotics, etc.
- You must be available for at least 40.00 hours a week to be eligible for this role, this is a full-time internship.
- You must be available to commute or relocate, this is an on-site position.
- CAD experience
- Experience using basic shop tools (hammers, drills, saws, mechanics tools, etc.)
- You should have the ability to take something apart, put it back together, and have a basic understanding of how and why it works.
- Attention to detail
- Familiarity with the design challenges of a marine environment
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear.
- The employee will also be frequently required to stand.
- The employee must frequently lift, push, or pull equipment at a minimum of 50 pounds unassisted.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision and ability to adjust focus.
- Must be able to climb ladders, maneuver in tight spaces, and stand for extended periods
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
In addition, while performing some duties of this job, the employee may be required to travel domestically and internationally. This role may also require exposure to a variety of construction and/or offshore platform, various bodies of water job sites. The noise level in the work environment and job sites can be loud.
The performance of this position may occasionally require exposure to the manufacturing areas, which may require the use of personal protective equipment such as safety glasses with side shields and mandatory hearing protection.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Houston Mechatronics, Inc (HMI) is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, immigration status, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
In addition, HMI is a federal contractor required to adhere to the Arms Export Control Act of 1976 which governs the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). As a result, this position may include access to export-controlled information that is subject to US export control laws. Export control laws require employers to restrict access to export-controlled information or to obtain export licenses for non-U.S. person employees if their positions require access to information governed by ITAR. The ITAR defines a U.S. person means a person (as defined in §120.14 of this part) who is a lawful permanent resident as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1101(a)(20) or who is a protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3) which includes certain temporary residents and refugees and asylees. HMI does not obtain export licenses for these positions.
HMI is a government contractor required to comply with the 14042 Executive Order, which requires all federal contractors/employees to be fully vaccinated. Successful applicants must be willing to confirm they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19.